In the Creative Stream


It’s the start of the second week of NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month, so today I woke early, fully intending to crack on with my target.  So far, for me, it’s been quite fun and motivational, knowing that I am part of something bigger than myself.  Though I also realise that for some, it has been a struggle, so the purpose of this blog is to hopefully encourage those that may be in that place.

Don’t get me wrong, I start every day with a struggle.  I live with a life-limiting illness and disability, but I am a massive believer in seeing the ability in people and not the disability.  As a Christian, I believe God does the same when He looks at each one of us.  He knows our strengths and weaknesses and He can turn our weaknesses into His opportunities.

I really fully intended to crack on with my NaNoWriMo novel this morning, but couldn’t as I felt God was telling me to write this first and that this is another opportunity.  You may occasionally hear the expression, to be in the creative stream’.  I certainly seem to hear it a lot or words to that effect, but should we be in the ‘Creative Stream’ and if we are, which way should we be heading?



Personally, I want to head downstream to eventually step into the Creative River’, though the distractions do hold me back.  Sometimes these are good and positive distractions, such as writing this blog or noticing another fellow creative that has metaphorically fallen over in the stream and is in need of help, support and encouragement.  The negative distractions are vast and it can be so difficult to shut them out, but one thing that I do is to treat my writing like a proper job’Writers can often treat their writing time as a kind of indulgence and indulgence can bring with it guilt, etc.  With a ‘proper job’ you must turn up and start work or suffer the consequences.


There are days when I find myself swimming in that ‘Creative River’ and it is wonderfully refreshing, but still, on those days, I long to be in the ‘Creative Ocean’, with the multitude of other creatives.  I like to think of that ocean as Jesus, which reminds me of the words of an old Noel Richards song – “I want to be out of my depth in your love, feeling your loving arms around me.”

As a Christian writer, this is where I want to be, but I want to journey together with others, to share the experience, the ups and downs, the joys and the sorrows.  One day we will all be there, but for now, for me, I paddle in the stream and every-so-often jump into the river.

Are you swimming, paddling or currently standing on the bank?

Images from Unsplash.com

Brendan is a Christian poet and author of 8 books, including 'The book of PSALMS in Rhyme.'  He lives in Stroud Gloucestershire.  There are 'self-made men' and 'God-made men', Brendan is the latter.  An associate speaker with Christian Vision for Men.  A member of the Association of Christian Writers.

Click here to visit Brendan's website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do you cope with disappointment?

What's in a name?

Where is Your Website? - Ideas to be better seen.