What is your LEGACY?

St. Paul's Cathedral by Roman Fox - Unsplash

We all leave something behind when we die and this is referred to as our LEGACY.  Some of us may have received comments about the LEGACY that we leave behind, especially if you are perceived as doing something great.  Edward Jenner left his LEGACY of the Smallpox vaccination, which has helped to create the Covid vaccine.  Christopher Wren and Isambard Kingdom Brunel left historic landmarks of architecture and engineering.

Just over 30 years ago myself and a friend set up a local youth charity, called ‘The Door’.  I grew the charity, developed it, pioneered some remarkable projects and rose from a humble volunteer to a humble CEO.  When I left there, seven years ago, I lost count of the number of times people told me that I have left a fantastic LEGACY.  I remember, in my mind, questioning, “Have I?”

As soon as I left, I said, “It’s not my LEGACY now, it belongs to those that come after me.”  What I now realise is that, I may have had the title of ‘CEO’, but I was simply a Caretaker of an ASSET.  That ASSET belongs to God and it was passed on to new Caretakers to do what they felt right with it.

I recently attended the 30 year celebration of the project and I have to say that it is no longer the project that I left.  It has the same name, but just about everything else has changed.  I can confirm that it is NOT my LEGACY.

 
Photo: Markus Winkler - Unsplash

It has taken me many years to realise this, but at the same time I have come to realise what our TRUE LEGACY is.  As an Author, Poet, and Film Maker, I now know that it is my books, poetry, and films (and the message that they carry) that are my LEGACY.  These can NEVER be changed and they will live on, touching lives long after I have gone to meet The Author of Life.

So, fellow authors, be inspired and leave a monumental LEGACY, like Jenner, Wren and Brunel.  Write words and tell stories that will live on, this is YOUR LEGACY. 


Brendan is a Christian poet and author of 8 books, including 'The book of PSALMS in Rhyme.'  He lives in Stroud Gloucestershire.  There are 'self-made men' and 'God-made men', Brendan is the latter.  An associate speaker with Christian Vision for Men.  A member of the Association of Christian Writers.

Click here to visit Brendan's website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's in a name?

How do you cope with disappointment?

Where is Your Website? - Ideas to be better seen.