Do You Want FAME?

I spent over 30 years of my life working in charity (and still do some).  I was a Youth Worker and one of the founders of a great youth charity in Stroud, Gloucestershire.  As a result of my work, many years ago, the charity’s Patron suggested that he should nominate me for an OBE.  As the Patron was a Lord, I knew that there would be a good chance of success, but I turned him down, saying, “I don’t need that.”

Looking back, I now say that, “I didn’t want that”, you see our minds can change, I now realise that fame can be useful.  Years later, someone else suggested that they nominate me for the same award and I thought to myself, “That would be nice.”  As far as I’m aware, he didn’t do as he said, and I was a little disappointed.  Now, when the new year honours are announced, I think to myself, “That could have been me.”

I used to believe that if we received our thanks on earth then we wouldn’t have any in heaven.  So, what made me change?  Why is it important to be known by many?  Well, as a writer, there is the obvious point, that more people might buy your books, but that shouldn’t be the main reason.

I recently watched a film on Netflix called, ‘Another Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood’ (starring Tom Hanks).  This is the story of a Presbyterian minister and children’s TV presenter, Fred Rogers.  Mr. Rogers (as the children know him) is interviewed by a journalist, Lloyd Vogel, and Lloyd asks, “What is it like to be famous?”

Fred responds with, “Fame is a four-letter word, like face, fast, same, and flat.  It’s not about being famous, it’s what you do with fame that makes a difference.”  The more widely we are known, the bigger the difference that we can make and we call that marketing.  Any author needs a bit of that.

Another point that Fred makes in the film is, he asks Lloyd a question, “What do you think is the most important thing in the world for me right now?”

Lloyd shrugged his shoulders and Fred answered, “Talking to you Lloyd.”  The point that Fred was making was, where ever you are, be there.  My friends, how often have you been somewhere, but your mind is elsewhere?  Writer friends, how often have you sat down to write, only for your thoughts to drift away to nowhere?

So, do I want to be famous?  I want my books and films and the message contained within to speak into people’s hearts.  I don’t care if they remember my name or not, but I do pray that my words will bring them hope, freedom, and change.  Then it will be another beautiful day in the neighbourhood.


Brendan is a Christian filmmaker, poet, and author of 8 books, including 'The book of PSALMS in Rhyme.'  He lives in Stroud Gloucestershire.  There are 'self-made men' and 'God-made men', Brendan is the latter.  An associate speaker with Christian Vision for Men.  A member of the Association of Christian Writers and Evangelical Alliance.

Click here to visit Brendan's website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do you cope with disappointment?

Where is Your Website? - Ideas to be better seen.

What's in a name?